It is our vision to be an Acts 1 Church. We do everything for the Master. The five pillars of our work are Worship, Discipleship, Evangelism, Fellowship, and Ministry.
We are blessed to be built on the Southside of Madison. It is our mission to serve our community.
112 years of
LIFTING OUR COMMUNITY
(long story short)
Mt. Zion Baptist Church seeks to be an Acts 2 church that works together, studies the word of God, is obedient to that word, and helps one another. We are one of Wisconsin’s oldest predominately African American congregations.
In 1911, Rev. J. Pierce was Mt. Zion's first pastor. Since then, we have had 9 pastors. The church began as a Baptist Church above a harness shop at 118 East Washington Avenue. In 1960, 11 deacons and 1 member each brought $1,000 to build a new building on Fisher street which is now the fellowship hall & old sanctuary. In order to accommodate a growing congregation, the church constructed a major new addition to the existing building in May 1981 which is now our current sanctuary.
On March 28, 2014, the church acquired a key property at 2029 Fisher Street to accommodate the future development of a community life center. The property currently houses the Mt. Zion Food Pantry.
For the full history of Mt. Zion's achievement over the last 110+ years, please visit the church office.